My Monday Music | Directioners Anonymous

hello blogger, internet,

"My name is Maren"
"I am 22 years old"
"And I'm a directioner"
"Hi Maren" chime the voices in the circle simultaneously at my first ever Directioners Anonymous meeting.

I kid of course, in what is most likely a failed attempt to alleviate the death glares beating down my neck. But fine, I won't lie. Last year while watching X Factor USA with my friends, these five boys sang this adorable little tune about embracing girl's various insecurities, and as someone who works with youth I thought it was cute and relevant. I asked my friends who these young bucks were only to receive shocked expressions in return. This was my introduction to the UK boy band sensation One Direction. My friends got me to listen to a couple of their other songs and yes, I got hooked by the uppidy beats and catchy lyrics, alright? I am not ashamed to admit that. The fact that I was able to tolerate them shocked me considering the bands I typically listen to range from The Lumineers and Mumford and Sons to The Script and Imagine Dragons. Pop isn't really my scene. But nonetheless here we are and I am reviewing One Direction's latest album "Midnight Memories".

In the past I have found that, with the exception to their songs written by Ed Sheeran, although their songs are catchy, lyrically they lack depth. And again although they are catchy the sound isn't actually much of my liking, again with the exception to their songs written by Ed Sheeran. But with today's release of Midnight Memories I feel like some songs are moving towards a more mature sound, which I appreciate. There are less songs on this album with the distracting beats that cloud the fact that the 5 bands members are actually talented singers. I think perhaps that is their problem, a lot of their pop songs don't showcase the fact that they can sing and their lyrics are a little cheesy for the older demographic. But the talent is there.

So without further adieu, I give you my picks from from Midnight Memories...
(oh dear... excuse the videos... but kudos to the die hard fans that put these together so quickly)

-m.o

"You & I"
(Slows it down the way I like my music and it's cute)


"Don't Forget Where You Belong"
(the traveller in me who is prone to severe homesickness related to this,
if I was listening to this in another country away from family I'm sure I would get teary eye) 



"Through The Dark"
(The intro is a little folky, and I do love folky music)



I leave you with a live performance of their latest single "Story Of My Life" from their X Factor USA performance last week for those still in need of convincing that they are actually capable of singing.