my first blog | take two



hello blogger, internet

So only two weeks into my blogging experience and I am already rather frazzled. And as you can tell, I have already started a second blog as a result. I had originally chosen tumblr over blogspot and wordpress because of its focus on photos. But, after two weeks I decided I didn't like using if for blogging. I was able to find some cool accounts that posted some pretty fantastic photography but for the most part is was just a lot of people reblogging other peoples stuff. Which is fine, but I am more interested in seeing people's original content. And as far as finding things to read, tumblr really wasn't the place for that. The formatting tumblr uses for writing is extremely basic and I prefer the way blogspot displays images in blogs over the way tumblr does. But I really like tumblr for posting individual photos.

I am still going to keep my tumblr blog active, but it will just be to share the odd photos. I got a lot more feedback than I had ever anticipated, so thank you to everyone that was so positive and encouraging! I also accumulated some followers on tumblr and I want to continue to develop connections.

As for what this blog will be, I am still not entirely sure. I am still in the process of discovering my "blogger identity" but I am having a bit of fun trying to figure it out. My original plan was to use blogging as a platform to force myself to develop my photography skills and branch out on my writing. And this is still the case. Although it is proving to be much more difficult than anticipated!

Life often gets crazy and between school, work, homework, and barn life it can be very difficult to find the time to do something like photography. But I really wan to challenge myself to do more with it, so my goal is to at least once or twice a week pick up my camera and go out and take pictures of something, anything that inspires me or that I just simply find beautiful. The writing part of blogging is going to be more difficult I think. Trying to find things to write about seems easy but when you put the keyboard in front of you it suddenly all seems foggy. Possible writers block? Perhaps. But honestly I think it has more to do with not know what people want to read. Unfortunately being a full time student and working part time, my life isn't that exciting and nobody wants to read about someone studying or writing papers! Hopefully over time I will find things to write about and I am open to suggestions!

Before closing this entry, I want to pay some attention to today's holiday. For anyone that knows me I am, extremely, extremely proud to be a Canadian. Remembrance Day is a day where we all can be reminded of how blessed we are to live in a country where we have freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to be who we are. I am so extremely grateful to every single person who has played and does play a role in our freedom. And what better way to spend Remembrance than to spend it with those you are blessed with. Not often are there days where every member of my family has a clear schedule but today was one of those wonderful days.

After I slept in and took my horse for a ride, I got to spend the afternoon with my parents, sister and brother-in-law, and adorable nephew and their dog at the pond. Although there was a chill crispness in the air, the sun was shining, the clouds were dry and it was a beautiful day! There's nothing I love more than being with my family and being with them outside in the sun is an added bonus. And another bonus, this day provided me with the opportunity to have some up to date photos taken of myself and my family, curtesy of my lovely sister (photo above). Oh how I love sun flares and natural lighting!

I feel so blessed to live in a place where people care enough to fight for my freedom so I am able to have amazing days like this to spend with the people I love.

-m.o

ps. I would really really really appreciate anyone that would comment telling me some awesome blogs to follow. I'm still super new to this and I've found some amazing photography ones but would love to read some with more written, original content. I like reading pretty much anything but horsey things are always loved, stuff about gluten free, dairy free, egg free lifestyles would be extremely helpful, and seeing's my studies are focused around mental health, human rights, social change, etc stuff like that would also be cool to read about. Thanks!