Hometown Tourist | Sea to Sky

(for enhanced experience listen to this this link in a separate tab: Reuben and the Dark - "Bow and Arrow")


hello there,

This past weekend posed another opportunity for me to take a drive on what is quite possibly my favourite line of concrete in the entire world: The Sea to Sky Highway. One might think that after 23 years in this province and 4 trips from Vancouver to Whistler in less than a year I have become accustomed to or bored of the drive, however that is very far from the case. It seems to be that no matter how many times I make that drive it never ceases to take my breath away. It is by far the most wonderful 188 km stretch of road and Friday's weather boasted a complimentary array of sun and clouded blue skies.

Perhaps you haven't quite realized but I have a certain affection towards travel, not just the overseas kind, but also the local kind. I can't help but always want to be a tourist in my own city. Some people bug me about it when I bring my camera along for just a day trip to Downtown Vancouver but I really don't care. I consider it a great privilege to live somewhere that has something new and beautiful and different to offer each and everyday. Because I was headed to Whistler and had an entire day off before I needed to be there I decided to do something I rarely get to do when I take that scenic drive along the Sea to Sky; get out of my car. It always seems as though I have an agenda to follow so Friday, thanks to the availability of a good friend, the only agenda I set was to take as long as possible to get to Whistler. 

Typically when you have a destination to reach you would try to get there as efficiently as possible but Friday was not that day. Every time I drive to Whistler I see these spots that just call out to me to be photographed and I knew it was time I listened to them. So, 9am Friday morning we turned a two and a half hour drive into a seven hour day trip stopping first at Lynn Canyon, then Porteau Cove and from there Browning Lake and Shannon Falls, to Brandywine Falls and finally Lost Lake in Whistler. All places I had never been but had clearly been missing out on.

If there's one piece of advice I can offer you it's to never stop being a tourist, even when you're home.

-m.o
p.s. I'm not even sorry about the length of this post

Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver













Porteau Cove, Squamish-Lillooet












Browning Lake, Murrin Provincial Park




Shannon Falls, Squamish





Brandywine Falls, Brandywine Falls Provincial Park

















Lost Lake, Whistler