Backpacking Adventures | Whitsunday Islands, Australia


hello blogger, internet,

I am here to tell you; Paradise exists.

I know this, because I've seen it. 

A short boat ride off the coast of Queensland, Australia lays 74 lavish islands surrounded by pure white sand beaches, dispersed amongst clear turquoise water. These 74 islands are called the Whitsunday Islands. 

And one day here was not enough, but it's what we had, and my oh my. What a day it was. Not long after departing from Proserpine we were snorkelling over the great barrier reef with sea turtles and vibrant fish, hiking through tropical forests, napping on white sand beaches, and swimming with sting rays. 

If that sounds like a dreamy paradise to you, it's because it was. It was just one of those places where you almost have to pinch yourself because you can't actually believe it's really real. 

We spent about an hour snorkelling in the deeper parts of the reef. And I will be honest, I have this irrational fear of opening my eyes underwater when I'm not in a pool. I hate hate hate seeing seaweed. It scares me. Also fish weird me out and I don't want them to touch me even though I know they're scared of me... It's embarrassing to even think about now but I didn't actually want to go snorkelling. But I figured I was there so I should probably go for two minutes and then hop back in the boat. Ha. Ya right. I pretty much had to force myself out of the water. It was by far one of the most incredible experiences of my existence. We even saw a sea turtle (by the way, sea turtles are ENORMOUS).

We boated around the islands some more (still pinching myself at this point) until we got off at an island and then did a little hike to Whitehaven Beach. 

Whitehaven Beach...

I don't even know what to say about it. The sand is the whitest and softest substance you can imagine. The water is so clear you can see the sting rays swimming a hundred feet away. And it's warm. Not the weird pee warm of bathtub water but the kind of warm that just soothes you and makes you want to stay in the water for forever and yet its refreshing. 

Mmmm... Paradise. I will let the pictures prove my point.

-m.o