Turning The Page On 2014


hello there,

It's 2015.

Two thousand and fifteen. 

Another year has come and gone. Today marks the beginning of something new.

Last year I did a post summarizing 2013, so I've decided to do that again. This is mostly for my own benefit. I like looking back at the highlights from my year. Especially this year. Last year I said that if I were to summarize 2013 in one word that word would be disappointing. Now, if I had to summarize 2014 in one word, that word would have to be hectic. Insane perhaps. 

Busy, busy, busy.

My university semesters were more demanding and busier than I had ever experienced (albeit I opted for the heaviest possible course loads). I worked full time throughout the spring and summer for the first time in five years. Some weeks more than full time, juggling two jobs and a horse. But for the first time in my life I had a job that I loved, a job that I actually looked forward to going to each and every day. Working became less of a job and more of a blessing. When I wasn't working on the weekends I was at weddings or bachelorette parties. My best friend got married, as did multiple other important people in my life. Weddings remind me how blessed I am to have so many wonderful people in my life and I love sharing in their joys. Weddings and wedding related activities also took me away. You could say that 2014 was all about me travelling around British Columbia. I went to Whistler four times, Victoria twice, Osoyoos, and Penticton. Needless to say, it rekindled my already endless love for my province. I like to think my photography skills benefited from the travel. 

I also called 2013 "The Year of the Concert". Well, that may have been premature as 2014 made way for me to see Demi Lovato, Little Mix, Fifth Harmony, Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran, Tegan and Sara, Katy Perry, Stu Larson, and Passenger. Perhaps I have just adopted a new lifestyle...

But as I mentioned when I think of 2014 as a whole, I think of busy. To be honest, that bothers me a little. As much as I love doing things, I don't want the hectic ways of life to stop me from noticing the small things, stop me from taking a moment to pause and enjoy the moments that can too easily pass by. I don't make New Years resolutions, never have, it's just not my thing. However, in 2015 my goal is to try harder to pause everyday and appreciate whats around me. To do this I plan on taking a photo a day. Not just a quick, thoughtless photo on my iPhone. Photo photos. Ones that require thought, imagination, creativity, and time. Of course I realize that some days that won't be possible. Some days will be pixilated iPhone photos. But I intend to do my very best at producing the best content for myself, my blog and my Instagram. I believe that every day we have on this beautiful earth is a tremendous blessing and I intend to prove it in photos. Looking through my photos of the last year reminded me how blessed I am. I guess you could say that's one of the things I love most about photography. It's a visual, lasting representation of each and every blessing. Photographs allow us to reflect and remember. They allow us to relive our fondest memories. 

My hope is that 365 days from now, 365 photos from now the words I use to describe 2015 won't have anything to do with disappointment or busyness. 

2015 will be remembered for being memorable.

I look forward to when we meet again here, on January 1, 2016, when I'll be somewhere on a beach in South Africa, a university graduate with a Bachelors Degree. 365 days older, 365 days wiser, 365 more days lived to the fullest, 365 days of photos to remember. 

Until then, remember to live passionately and love greatly.

Happy New Year!

-m.o

2014 In 150 Photos