An Actual Honest Blog About Gluten

hello there,

It's become a bit of a fad, hasn't it? Gluten free this and gluten free that. Gluten free people living their gluten free lives.

It's a gluten filled world and we're all just living in it.


I've been gluten free for over a year now (not very long, I know). It's been a journey, it's been a battle. It seems as though lots of people now choose to be gluten free. For some it's just to be part of the craze, for others it's about living a healthier lifestyle. I fully support those who are changing their diets and lifestyles in order to be healthier. We should take care of our bodies and there's plenty of research to suggest eliminating gluten is one way to do that. So, like I said, for some people gluten free is a choice. It wasn't a choice for me. I got sick. Pretty sick actually. It was months before I started to find out what was wrong with me but as soon as I got sick I decided to eliminate gluten (among many other foods) because it seemed to be the thing to do. I'm glad I did, I can't imagine how much worse those months of sickness would have been had I not immediately eliminated it. And as it turned out I was right, my body didn't like gluten... or dairy... or eggs... (but that's another post for another day) 

Since then it's been an educational process, learning what has gluten in it and what's a healthy replacement. For me, fortunately, I don't have celiac disease, I'm just gluten intolerant which means I can handle a small amount without getting terribly sick. So, should I accidentally or not so accidentally (curse you sourdough bread at family dinner) consume gluten I won't suffer too much. But I try to avoid it all the time. 

When I chose/was forced to go gluten free I knew it would be hard but with the internet and blogs there were so many resources for people going gluten free that painted this really great picture of what a gluten free lifestyle looks like.

What I didn't realize was that all those gluten free bloggers were A BUNCH OF LIARS.

Nothing about this is fun.

Since then I've noticed and experienced things I didn't expect. 

1.) Firstly would be the whole fad thing and conversations like this:

GF Person: "Oh wow you're gluten free? So am I!"

Me: "Twins! Are you celiac or intolerant?"

GF Person: "Neither, I don't eat it just because!"

Me: "..."

Me: in my head **THEN WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME YOUR GI TRACT AND I'LL GIVE YOU MINE CAUSE I WANT THE BREAD. GIVE ME THE CARBS. WHO TRADES IN FLUFFY FLAVOURFUL BREAD FOR SOMETHING THAT RESEMBLES ROCKS AND CARDBOARD MORE THAN ACTUAL FOOD**

2.) And then there's those conversation with people that don't really understand...

Gluten eater: "So, like, what happens to you when you eat gluten?"

Me: "..."

Digestion. 

Really fast digestion. 

If someone who is celiac or gluten intolerant eats gluten they "digest" their food really quickly (among other things).

Comprende?

We all "digest". Some faster than others. Especially if you feed them gluten. Which leads me to...

3.) I never knew how comfortable I could be talking about my bodily functions.

Honestly, there just comes this point with allergies/sicknesses that you just say "screw it!", no more pretending that I'm fine. I'm sick and I know it and I ain't afraid to say it (to a respectful degree of course).

4.) At first I thought it would be all fun recipes with new ingredients and yummy healthy treats.

...I was wrong...

What the actual heck is arrowroot powder and xanthan gum ?

How do you even pronounce xanthan?

And gluten free flour? 

More like 'the paste which makes all the things that are wrong with this world'.

5.) And then there's the restaurant experiences...

Me: "Could I please get my burger lettuce wrapped?"

Waitress: "Is this an allergy or do you just not want the bun?"

Me: in my head **No, I don't want the soft cushions of love surrounding my burger that fit in my hand like burgers were created just for me. I prefer to eat my burgers with a fork and knife instead... OF COURSE I WANT THE FREAKING BUN but no, it's an allergy**

6.) Also, everyone is affected by your/my gluten allergy

It's kind of become this over told story that some people are just sick of hearing about. But do you want to know the only thing more annoying than hearing about someone's gluten allergy?

HAVING A GLUTEN ALLERGY.

I realize that  lots of you are sick of hearing about gluten but unfortunately most social situations involve food so there's a pretty good chance gluten will be present, and as much as we would like to, we kind of can't just ignore it and eat it. I get that you would probably like to go a meal without hearing about your friend's gluten problems but we would also like to go to a restaurant without having to pre scout the menu just to figure out whether or not we can eat there or to be able to go to someone's house and not have to pack your own separate meal just incase we can't eat anything they're serving. We aren't trying to inconvenience you, it's just that gluten intolerance is an inconvenience in itself sometimes.

My absolute favourite part of being gluten free is when people ask me if I miss eating gluten. Let me ask you; Do you like the taste of chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven and when you bite in they melt in your mouth? Do you like dipping your warm biscuit lathered in butter into your hot soup and biting into it after its absorbed all the moisture and flavour? Do you enjoy the fall sweetness of your pumpkin spice latte (Yes, they have gluten in them... Learned that the hard way...)? Do you like drizzling gravy over your thanksgiving dinner and filling in the little pool you made in your mashed potatoes? 

The comment about "missing it" is always followed by "Oh, I feel so sorry for you". Perhaps you've read my blog posts before so you're thinking this is the point in the post where I say, "don't feel sorry, it's just the situation". Well it's not. And you should feel sorry for us. Cause we definitely feel sorry for ourselves. Bread ('nuff said, am I right?).

Of course I kid around with this. Being gluten free is not the worst thing in the world and it's gotten a lot easier over the years for people like me. I'm blessed to have my health back and I wouldn't trade it in for any slice of bread or cake.

-m.o

p.s. If any one has a killer recipe for homemade gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free bread hit me up, sadly I'm not kidding.